View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 AM   #6
hudsong
hudsong began at the beginning.

Device: Razr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
MobiPocket is aggressively Windows-centric on the desktop. They have no software at all for OSX or Linux. This means that you can't used MobiPocket Desktop Reader to manage your secure .mobi files (which need an ID from each device you want to read the file on encoded into the file's DRM). However, you can manually register your devices. Once the .mobi (.prc) file has been generated for your device ID it is just a file and can be handled like other files.

The Cybook isn't only for DRM-infested .mobi books, and the normal way to transfer any content from any desktop machine to the Cybook is via USB - with the Cybook showing up as a USB filesystem. For some devices (I'm not sure if this will include the Cybook) MobiPocket Desktop Reader also manages the transfer of .mobi files to the device - but it isn't doing anything that can't be done manually.

Finally, some file formats that MobiPocket (not Cybook) advertises as "supported" by their reader software actually gets translated into a .mobi file by Windows-only software (MobiPocket Desktop Reader or MobiPocket Desktop Creator). In this case, third party software may be able to do an equally good job of the translation - and are your only option on non-Windows machines.
Ok, so since I won't be using the DRM'd "Mobi" books, but I will be using PDFs/RTF files, it sounds like the Cybook will be usable as if it were just any other USB device with storable memory (ipod, flash drive etc etc)?
hudsong is offline   Reply With Quote