View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
gyffes
Enthusiast
gyffes is on a distinguished road

Device: eMate!!! oh, and an NX-60
Alexander, I deeply admire your work creating this site, but I must correct you on something: Apple, with the Newton, was not ENTERING the PDA market, they were CREATING it.

This is a HUUUGE difference, because people didn't know what they wanted or needed -- cf: the Sony Walkman. Who knew people wanted to walk around with 'phones attached to their heads all the time?

The Newton's technology was YEARS ahead of its time -- the handwriting recognition remains better than anything else out there; this is why Apple won't license it and why rumourmongers continue to hold out hope for an Apple PDA.

And odds are, if Jobs' hadn't returned and (albeit saved the company...) killed the Newton development, we'd be discussing Apple's dominance of the PDA market as we do the iPod's the "portable music" market. My eMate (instant on, instant off, auto save, large screen, FUNCTIONAL keyboard, quality software -- even websurfable! -- and sturdy with anti-shock and built-in handle) remains a useful tool for me as I write because it goes anywhere and has a far longer battery life than the $2k compaq I'm writing on now.

Give the Newton some lovin' -- without it, there'd probably be less need for this site.