View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
The iPad and other slates are supposed to user in a new revenue stream for magazine publishers. As I await my iPad, I got to thinking about what would entice me to pay for a magazine app/subscription verses just going to their website for free.

Even if the magazine app is nicer, more interactive etc. -- would I pay for it if I could get the same content as the stuff they put on the web for free? I doubt it. So what would I pay for?

A good and interesting app is just the start. I certainly plan on subscribing to Wired just for the experience of their cutting edge app. But that's not going to fly for long.

Back content. I'd subscribe to a photography magazine if I could also have access to the back issues. I'd hope for not just links to back issues, but integrated search to help find, say, a particular tutorial that was published in a back issue.

Combined print/digital subscription. I surely don't want to have to pay for a magazine and then pay AGAIN for access online. I might be willing to pay a _bit_ more for a combined subscription. I surely expect that whatever online goodies they have on their website, I'd get access to if I subscribed to their magazine app.

What say you?

Lee
Wizards of the Coast is the company that produces the game Dungons and Dragons and is a part of Hasbro. They have two magazines that they publish each month electronicaly. As long as you subscribe, you get to see your old copies. If you don't subscribe, you can't.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote