View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I'm eager to get back into reading magazines, but I refuse to do so until I can own what I subscribe to. A lot of digital subscriptions are online only, but I want the file within my control and in a format that's not too tied down.

I'd love to read Scientific American and Popsci and Wired again, but I've yet to see a model for distribution that I'm okay with. And I'm done with paper subscriptions piling up, so while they dilly dally around trying to figure out how to deliver and protect their content, they're just losing my money. I'll be amazed if they ever come up with something I'm willing to put up with.
You should check out zinio. You can read online or download. though you do have to use their reader as the download is a proprietary format - but so long as you have the software you can read it.

At 8 bucks for a year of Car & Driver, I'll forgive them for not being a more open file format.

They even have an iphone app. Kinda challenging reading on the iphone, but there is some nice functionality to make it manageable, but man, if they come out with an ipad app. Awesome.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote