View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Unfortunately, advertising-based websites aren't working either. The ad revenue is insufficient to support the businesses, which is why they are generally tanking, and both Murdoch and the NY Times are planning to put up paywalls.
I'm not sure I completely agree with that, although there are definitely some that are not doing too good (in either camp). The polls seem to indicate that the pay walls are going to fail big time, but only time can tell. I suspect too many people think they really know what's good for the rest of us...

The internet model is putting a new twist on media, those that suscribe to the old models probably will fail, but new venues can possibly support the "new" magazines of the future. Instead of monthly "commentary", you might see more of weekly or daily "blogs", for example. Timely reviews and in-depth news get my attention, usually the magazines of past are so out-of-date they are not even worth reading. Throw internet anywhere, like the ipad can possibly do, instead of our present smartphones, and there's no telling what's going to happen. I think you are premature in predicting what's going to happen with media in the next few years.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote