View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #42
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I think it's unrealistic to expect Amazon or any distributor to verify that a publisher has the legal right to publish a book.

And FYI, the copyright owner of any book is the author or the author's estate, until the book goes into public domain. At least in the US.
Well, in this case Amazon is the seller, so it should watch out for such things (for instance, utilize a database of copyrighted works, and check new submissions against it.)

But even if something slips through, reaching into your device and removing the file without your approval, is not the solution. It is in fact outrageous, and if viewed as "hacking," it is also criminal.

Again, unlike the theft of physical objects, the fact that honest purchasers have the files they paid for, does not deprive the copyright owner of their possession of the work.

If the copyright owner decides to go after Amazon for the profits of the sales, it would be fine. If the copyright owner, and/or Amazon decide to go after the infringing "publisher," it would be fine also.

But gaining access to innocent purchasers' devices, to remove content they have paid for, doesn't pass the smell test.

Funny, before I got my two Kindles, I actually had a much higher regard for Amazon, and made a large portion of my purchases through them. Now, because of stuff like this, I am more apt to explore alternatives.

Last edited by Sonist; 07-18-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote