View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Are there really any reasons why a translation can't be better than the original?
When we read a translated book; whose creative work are we experiencing the most? (Have I really read 'War and Peace' if I've only read it in translation?)
I'm probably prejudiced, but I don't thing a translation can be as good as the original. It isn't just the translating, but also the reading. I've read plenty of early/mid medieval texts from the original parchments, but I have no doubt that a contemporary listener from the time would have a completely different context from which to understand meaning. I have not yet figured out how to get into that mindset. Honestly not sure that I want to!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote