View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by travak View Post
I think I've managed to do this. Started from 5.8.1.
  • Serial begins with G090G1, matched to Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi
  • Downloaded update_PW3_5.6.1.1_initial.bin under PW3 from the pastebin
  • Connected Kindle to PC, placed file in drive root, safely removed, unplugged USB cable, home > menu > settings > menu > update > confirmed
  • Kindle flickers a bunch, reboots a bunch, then settles on "Your Kindle Needs Repairing"

During boot loop USB is accessible short-term; any suggestions or am I SOL?
Hmm...
That state is actually backed by a counter -
It could be that our testing started with the counter @ zero and your counter started at a higher number (maybe one less than the trigger point).

That could be why we didn't see that happen in our testing.

Try pushing a:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
filename into the root of USB storage.

You might have to setup a scripted loop on your PC and then reboot the Kindle while it has the USB cable connecting it to the PC.

Ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78&postcount=1

- - - -

Also -
you should be running the factory original firmware now -
it has a lot of recovery features (like a lot of search bar commands) not in the consumer firmware versions.

There may be something that will let you recover or zero that counter.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2016 at 11:24 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote