View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
My overarching question about the Iliad 2nd edition and/or the Iliad Book Reader is this: will the company continue to support and upgrade the firmware and software for this device?
No. They have already said that they will not be developing any new functionality for the iLiad. Their software development is now focused on the new DR1000 device.

Quote:
Are there enough Iliad users who can program to maintain the device competitive with the newer devices being released?
There is a pretty good developer community. However, it's always a question of what gets worked on. Are the things that you want to see added to the iLiad the same things that they want to work on?

Quote:
I love the size of the Iliad, but I worry that I will not be able to read as much on it as I can on my Kindle 1.
As far as formats, there are already more formats supported on the iLiad than on the Kindle, so I don't think that's going to be a problem. The only way you're going to be able to read more on the Kindle is if publishers get locked into an exclusive deal with Amazon for releasing their eBooks in the "kindle only" format. If that happens, then there's nothing the developer community (or even iRex themselves) can do about it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote