View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Two titles that always struck me as particularly unfelicitous are Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. They sound like a couple of morality tracts and not at all like comedy of manners novels.
I had not looked at them like that before, but you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
On the other hand, sometimes the author was saved from himself. When you consider that Fitzgerald considered naming The Great Gatsby, Trimalchio in West Egg! Sounds like a stinker if there ever was one, and not one of the great American novels.
Hah! Not a case of "A rose by any other name"? Makes me wonder what might have happened.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote