View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
porphyry5
Connoisseur
porphyry5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Onyx Boox Monte Cristo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Markdown works really well with calibre and plain text sources.

See https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/ then use calibre's options on the "TXT Input" section of the conversion dialogue.

Pre-processing your plain text with some regex can be an efficient way of introducing Markdown for calibre to detect so that your book gets some structure and style.

If you want to extend Markdown's styling then you can add your own syntax in your plain text file and then post-process the converted book with calibre's editor and regex.

I'm not sure if you can change the options with ebook-convert but you could set them as defaults.

___

@porphyry5 : Do you really still have a working PRS-300 ?
Thanks for your help. No, my PRS-300 is a goner, and I'm now thinking of updating its successor, a Nook Glowlight.

Command-line apps never give you less options than their gui equivalents, and mostly a lot more, though I think calibre is exceptional in that you get every option no matter which way you use it. And if you automate your processes with scripts as I do, the commandline is essential.

I've not used the text markdown calibre offers, nor xpath for that matter, preferring to use the minimum, bash, html and vimscript, to do everything. I get confused enough between just those three, using some other syntax than that for the language I'm coding in. I'm sure adding more languages increases confusion exponentially, which is why I almost never use awk or sed any more.

So I think my fiction conversions will have to continue being plain vanilla as to formatting.
porphyry5 is offline   Reply With Quote