View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorOne View Post
Thanks, Kendal. My nook color has the same slider, but it still didn't give me the embedded fonts. But no problems any more.

For the benefit of all of you who tried so hard to help me--much of your advice was very helpful--I wanted to let you know that the e- book was successfully published to Kindle, Nook, iPad, and Sony e-reader. Everything worked, so apparently my work-arounds didn't do any harm. I'll do better on the next project. We are doing the same book in print now.
FYI, we've just had a report in today, of "glitches" on a NookHD device, with a sideloaded epub. The ePUB displays the fonts correctly on ADE, and every other e-reader in existence, but not in the NookColorHD. If the client turns on her "Publisher fonts," a font embedded to emulate Courier (because she couldn't see the Courier, either) displays as TNR. If she turns her "Publisher defaults" off, the entire file displays in a sans serif.

Just another special gift from the folks at B&N. First, the ludicrous imposition of their internal CSS atop perfectly good ePUBs, unless you force the issue with "use original file," which B&N tries to hide, and now this. Honestly, you have to wonder, at what point will all of us just give up and only make books with default fonts, plain centered headings without bold, no fleurons (the endless joy with the HD versus non-HD devices at Amazon), and maybe a few italics for flourishes? It gets bloody worse every day. B&N couldn't make a damn device that actually works? A device that at least displays what ADE displays, which is, after all, its engine? The stupid NookColor--not HD--works fine. Naturally, they had to screw that up. B&N, if it ain't broke, don't FIX IT!

ENDLESS. IT'S BLOODY ENDLESS.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote