View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'
EditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toys

Device: none
Thanks, Hitch and JS. You've given me some important things to think about. My client is going to upload her files to vendors today so I will find out whether or not they will pass. If not, I'll have to revisit them and see if I can address the errors myself or hire someone else to do it.

A couple of things you said that lit some bulbs over my head:
. . . it's going to be a) you created a boatload of paragraph styles that weren't really cascading, but stood alone; b) you created a type of inline styles with the serif versus the sans-serif, the italicized versus the non, the indented versus the not, the top-margins, etc., and somewhere in that mess is the error for the paragraph styles.

You are actually right about this. There is a boatload of paragraph styles--those that I wrote along with "calibre" styles that were introduced in the online-convert.com process. (Apparently they use a calibre-driven conversion.) So I'm guessing that my styles and the calibre styles were doing battle for control. It's the concept of "cascading" where I'm probably screwing up. And I did go back inline to where the calibre styles somehow were misapplied after the conversion to change the p class or p style. (Maybe you could point me to a good online course in writing CSS.)

Second: I don't know--I'm guessing, of course--that you created a base p style, and then built on that. For example, using the base p as indented; then a p class (almost always, always, called no-indent or noindent by everyone here) with a text-indent:0 set...but I am feeling like somewhere you cascaded something over something. If you were working in my shop, I'd be doing two things: first, I'd be looking at your stylesheet myself. Second, I'd run your CSS (I can't recall if you did this or not, sorry!) through validation by itself, not ePUB validaiton, but CSS validation, to see if I got an error. I mean...it's almost inevitable that there is a least two typographical errors--missing ; or a missing hyphen, or a missing colon...something, in both one of the paragraph types and one of the font types (if they are not in the same styling--that's not clear to me). One simple typographic error can invalidate your whole stylesheet, or a given style.

That is how I created the p styles, but I checked very carefully for missing colons and semi-colons, etc., but I still could have missed something. But the idea that I've messed up the "cascading" structure is probably spot on.

I'll let you know if the client succeeds with her uploads . . . In the meantime, I will be searching out more opportunities to learn to do it efficiently and effectively. THANKS!!
EditorOne is offline   Reply With Quote