View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #115
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I've found that reflective screens are much more comfortable to read on than light-emitting screens for long periods of time. My first ebook reader was a Palm Vx, which had a reflective monochrome LCD screen, and I could read it for hours with no discomfort. Even with its backlighting, which only lit the pixels of the text, I was still able to read it with minimal discomfort.

Things changed when I got my Palm m515. It had a color LCD screen with a backlight that you had to have on to read, with the backlight off the screen was unreadable. I wasn't able to read it for long periods of time due to discomfort. When I got my Palm T|X, it was a bit better due to the higher screen resolution, the ability to adjust the screen brightness (with the m515 the backlight was either on or off), and the larger screen but still became uncomfortable after reading for a while.

This changed when I got my first e-ink reader, a Sony PRS-500. Its screen was very easy to read, and it was much sharper than any of my previous e-readers. With it, I could read for hours with no discomfort. This has extended to my next two Sony ereaders, the PRS-505 and the PRS-600, both are very easy on the eyes.

I have a Nook Color and have used it on occasion as an ebook reader. But I've found the screen to be a bit to glaring for long-term reading, even at the lowest brightness setting. It's great for other uses, such as playing games, watching videos, viewing pictures, but for me it isn't as good for ebook reading as any of my ereaders with e-ink screens.

To sum up, based on my own experience, e-ink is better when it comes to viewing static images (such as ebook pages and pictures). LCD is better for viewing other types of images.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 01-16-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Grammar correction.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote