View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post

I just really hope that the iPad's epub support will be able to read ANY kind of epub and not locked into some highly regulated DRM version of epub. We need at least 4-5 devices that are epub capable and 4-5 major e-book retailers that sell e-books that work on all kinds of major platforms, THEN we will have decent price competition.
Not likely, I think it has been more or less established that iBooks uses Apple DRM - they have definitely not licensed Adobe's DRM, for example. But there will be iPad apps to access other online bookstores, including Kindle, txtr, etc., unless Apple bans them (a possibility, but IMO unlikely).

So while it would be nice not to have to have 6 different apps to read 6 different collections of books, I think that's likely to be how it will work on iPad. Portability between devices will not be achieved except by each bookstore offering reader apps for each, as many are starting to do.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote