Thread: John Ringo
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Strangely, I have similar thoughts about Ringo, but on mostly different series. It took me three tries to get interested in There Will Be Dragons, but I've never found any interest in the Black Tide stuff. Somehow I've taken that to be his take on a modern zombie story, and I'm much too overloaded with that to try it. Posleen stuff was interesting, but the later spinoffs went too far.

The Monster Hunter stuff is ok, but based on a whole series that just *starts* off way too far, and I probably won't re-read. I actually like the Looking Glass series.

There's a post up today on Tor.com that talks about Steve Stirling, and I have similar thoughts about his work. I really liked the Island trilogy, and initially thought the "emberverse" spinoffs could be interesting, but quickly got way too mystical for something that started off in a fundamentally SF way. I love his stand-alones Conqueror and Peshawar Lancers - Wish he might try more new ideas instead of piling on to things I'm not going to read. He had another early collaboration with Shirley Meier (and one other that I've forgotten....) that had some interesting threads.

Even Harry Turtledove had a couple of series I like, and others that I don't feel I want to re-read.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote