View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Post Dickens, Charles: David Copperfield with US format smart quotes v1, 23rd Aug 2009

First, thanks to HarryT for his great work on the Illustrated David Copperfield available here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54219

All the PD texts I've seen have the UK style single quotes. I prefer the US style double quotes, and also smart quotes, if possible.

Here are two editions I used as references:
Thomas Nelson and Sons 1906
http://books.google.com/books?id=Bg8WAAAAYAAJ

Houghton 1863
http://books.google.com/books?id=5PwKAAAAYAAJ

So I thought I'd make a quick attempt to convert HarryT's post from single quotes to double smart quotes. I'm good with regular expression search/replace, so I thought I could do it quickly. As I got farther into it, I realized a few things.

First, it took much longer than what I first thought. This book in particular may have been an especially poor choice to attempt such a conversion. Dickens uses a lot of punctuation such as:
“So th’ are, so th’ are!” cried Ham. “Well said! So th’ are. Mas’r Davy bor—gent’lmen growed—so th’ are!”

Second, I realized there are many different "editions" of this book. I have no idea what edition the Gutenberg text was scanned from, but it was a version with the single quotes, so I guess it was published in the UK. It seems Gutenberg has a mixture of the UK and US versions for Dicken's books.

Most of the smart quotes are correct in this version, but I'm sure there are a few mistakes. I may fix them as I read the book for the first time on my Kindle DX. If anyone has any interest in this version and wants to fix anything, post an updated version here or post a list of fixes.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub David Copperfield - Charles Dickens.epub (2.59 MB, 702 views)

Last edited by ectoplasm; 08-24-2009 at 05:03 PM.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote