View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #13
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I wasn't going to elaborate, but I will. I am a believer in open source. I would love to see all platforms open. I hate the walled gardens and the DRM and the draconian laws which protect them. But we live in the real world. Amazon will open its platform if and only if it perceives doing so is in its own best interests. Same goes for Apple and anyone else with a closed platform. And, as has been said numerous times on Mobileread, most recently by webjunk in the last post, and seems to be the general consensus, only a very tiny minority care. And, hard as it may be, I can't see this changing in the foreseeable future. Amazon is providing what most people want, and doing it superbly.

I am also grateful that Amazon is not Apple. Apple engages in an endless war to protect its closed system and preserve its very effective business model. Amazon doesn't seem to care that much. Whilst it doesn't help with things like jailbreaks and removing drm, nor does it seem to try very hard to stop them. Once again, this is because Amazon is acting in what it sees as its own best interests. I was a little concerned where the kfx format was heading, but thanks to some excellent hacking work this is not currently a concern. As I understand it, whilst hacking the format and the drm was by no means easy or trivial, Amazon could have made things a great deal worse. I'm just thankful that I can still strip drm and keep future proof backups. I have jailbroken my Kindle in the past, and enjoyed using, for instance, the font hack. However, I currently see no real need to do so. I use my Kindle only to read, and reading on the Kindle right now is a very satisfactory experience. It reminds me of this scene from an old movie:

Rodney Dangerfield starting a Business

Last edited by darryl; 11-12-2017 at 06:16 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote