View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 10:38 AM   #25
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I can only speak with direct knowledge about video rentals, not libraries, but rental companies can't merely buy a retail DVD and then rent it out. The license you get with a retail purchase doesn't allow that. They arrange (and presumably pay) for a license that allows rentals. I really never thought about whether or not a library could just go to a retail bookstore (or used bookstore...) and fill up their circulating shelves, but somehow I doubt it.

ApK
They most certainly cannot. With a physical book, the library pays a hefty price for the copy and that covers the license to lend. A lot of getting an MLS (masters of library science) here in the States is learning about how to manage those fees and curate a collection without breaking the bank.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote