View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How many ADE pages or number of words would be considered to be too long?
There are no hard rules, but there is guideline see under heading "What books result in the best discussions?":
Quote:
Length: Since we all read a different rates books longer than 300 to 400 pages are less likely to be appealing to everyone.
I had to look it up, but it fits with what I've been thinking as I look at books for nominating. I start to get iffy around 500 pages*, 600+ (I think) really needs some advance indication that most are up for it.

That said: remember it's not a hard rule. You can always nominate and people will simply not support it if they don't want it - which happened to me many months back when I nominated Nelson DeMille's Word of Honour. Hence the earlier hints around The Physician, the idea being that if it sparked enough interest I might have nominated it despite the length, but not without that interest.

* ADE or other is not huge issue, same ballpark, but for ADE I'd probably use slightly smaller limits. eg: The Physician is 714 pages in MMPB, 648 ADE, 875 showing on Kobo, 838 in Amazon. Word of Honour is 752 MMPB, 618 ADE, 884 at Amazon. These are both big books and a big reading commitment if someone is not sure whether they are going to like the book or not.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote