View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
There Has To Be An Easier Way To Update The eDGe

So I got to thinking (which is probably why my brain hurts) there has to be an easier way to do an update to the eDGe and Pocket eDGe. There are a couple of things driving this assumption. My son owns a Kindle Fire. Whenever there is an update to the Fire I download the update and copy it to the Kindle Update folder on the Fire itself, I go to Settings and select Update and the Fire performs the update and deletes the update file.

I believe the eDGe and probably most Android devices do the same thing, although most people would use an Over the Air (OTA) method for simplicity instead of downloading the update via a PC and then copying that file to the device.

I have owned my EE and PE and my son has owned a PE for about a year. When I updated these devices I did so using an OTA update. I opened the Update App and here's what I think happened: The eDGe downloaded the update file, the file was copied to some Folder on the eDGe, the update was performed, and the update file was deleted after the update was performed.

So I opened the update App for the heck of it just to see what would happen. I received an error message saying there was a problem performing the update and a system reboot was required. It's almost as if the Update App was looking for the update.zip file. All the LCD buttons were unresponsive and I had to long slide the power switch to turn the PE off. I turned the PE back on and everything was OK.

It appears the eDGe was looking for the update file but couldn't find it. I understand the Update App normally goes out to the Entourage server to download the update. However, just like the Kindle Fire will ONLY go out over the air looking for the update IF it is not found on the device, I believe the eDGe may do the same.

Although I have played around with SDK and AVD, I'm not an Android heavy (yet), so I'm not quite sure what folder the eDGe update should actually go in. I'm looking closely at me eDGe and Pocket eDGe to try and figure this out. However, I tend to believe that since updates were downloaded OTA while Entourage was in business there is a good chance that the file was simply downloaded to the root directory. I can't confirm this but if someone is thinking about updating or has an eDGe they experiment on (I'm thinking about getting one if a cheap appears on eBay) and would be willing to explore this would help a lot of people.

If anyone has an idea what Folder the eDGe placed OTA updates when Entourage was in business this might make it much easier for future owners to update their device. Myself or someone else could name all the update files update.zip, place them in Dropbox or a similar hosting site, and the owner could download the file, copy it the appropriate folder, and open the Update App and the update is performed. This would mean no more errors renaming the file update.zip.zip, holding the Menu or Rotate buttons for 10 seconds, trying 6 different USB drives or SD cards, and all the other headaches that many new owners are still experiencing today.

I welcome your comments and ideas.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-28-2012 at 05:46 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote