View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
lindsayw
Author from pBook days
lindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle-3-Keyboard; 8" Android Tablet
I suppose that I really should explain 2 things:

1. I started writing about 30 years ago, so I have lots of books converted to html more than a decade ago, when plain vertical quotes were the only option available – sloping quotes just did not render properly on most displays. So this simple method applies to html files with old-fashioned code that specifically avoided sloping quotes.

2. Every writer finds a "voice", which is just a preferred method of handling grammatical rules. I personally never use em-dashes abutting words—I find it ugly. I use lots of en-dashes – like this – but always separated by spaces. So my method avoids seeking out occurrences that I know will never happen. So it works FOR ME because I know what my files contain.

...but it may help other old farts...
lindsayw is offline   Reply With Quote