View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
Hi kiwidude, thanks for the prompt answer. Well, I (perhaps naively?) thought that with the doi one could "suck up" the metadata from the article page itself, e/.g for the above doi it would be here:
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...~frm=titlelink

Having said that, one site that is free as far as I know is "cite you like", which again for the above DOI returns:
http://www.citeulike.org/user/PreciousJ/article/7478980

But I am no tech-person, so perhaps this does not make sense...
The "suck up" technique is called "web scraping". In theory it is usually possible to do. The major downside is that it is extremely "fragile" - if the website you are trying to "scrape" the information from changes it's appearance with a redesign, then your code becomes useless. There can also potentially be legal issues as well I believe although how much of an issue that is in this case I am not sure.

As I don't have any journals and have a backlog of other plugins to work on I'm not volunteering to help further this myself I'm afraid. There is some information here now as a starting point if there is someone else out there keen to assist with writing it for you at some point.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote