View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #44
threebeers
threebeers began at the beginning.

Device: Palm, Sony, Nook, Literati
Here's my experience with the Literati device. It is better than the reviews state, because the reviewers either used old firmware or didn't mess with input. At around $50 it is worth a purchase.

After installing the 1.9 firmware it is pretty fast, page turns are good, display is grainy but readable. Best on mid-brightness setting. The serif font is the better of the two.

Night mode is good. Because it is narrow, out of the case you can hold it with one hand, wrapped around. If you have large hands, you can even turn the page with your wrapped-around fingers.

At a table, viewing angles are limited, setting it up on a reading stand (like for cookbooks) helps.

I can't figure out how to remove the 25 free books. I installed the desktop and set up a Kobo account and synced but they don't show up on the PC. I added a book to the PC account and on sync it appeared on the Literati, so I know that sync works. Help! Maybe they are stuck in ROM. If so the kindly people who program this should give an option to sync them out in v 2.0.

This works best with Calibre. It is recognized as a device.

The internal article hyperlinks show up on the device screen, but you can't click them. You have to go to Menu/Table of Contents to pull up a list.

Standard sideloaded epubs leave too large a margin. There must be an easy epub editor to fix this? Looked around the forums and the editors don't seem simple.

Instead, I converted a couple of Mobis and Lits to Epub with 0 margins on Calibre, and these do display well.

This runs on linux. Since it has a wifi card, a keyboard, and a pointer that could act as a mouse, it would seem to be a good candidate for a custom firmware that introduces a browser, etc. Or if Kobo wants to keep it dedicated Kobo should make a simple web or RSS browser available through the dedicated line (it isn't like they have to pay for the bandwidth, it is wifi). Then they can have something to offer when they sell the thousands of refurbs that will show up in a couple of months as the Christmas returns roll back out.

Last edited by threebeers; 01-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.
threebeers is offline   Reply With Quote