View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 04:49 AM   #2671
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I don't know whether to post this here, or in the V&R thread! Just finished reading (and TRYING to listen to) the 4th "Palladin's Legacy" book from Elizabeth Moon, Limits of Power. Narrated, HORRIBLY, by Angela Dawe. Who apparently never met a name she couldn't mispronounce. And the pacing was horrible and choppy. Really, why do publishers DO THIS?! They had tried two previous narrators, both of whom were reasonably similar and had obviously agreed about how to pronounce place names and characters names. But now they introduce an new narrator, who would have been awful even if she hadn't changed the pronunciation of every single name. Sigh.

On to the fifth (and final) book in the story arc -- Crown of Renewal. Which fortunately uses one of the narrators from the first 3 books in the series. Not, perhaps, the one I would have preferred, but at least she's better than Dawe.
I suspect that the narrator depends on availability, the publisher and to an extent the author's preference. I've noticed that most of the series that I listen to have the same narrator through out, while others seem to be whomever is available. The voice talent for the first 5 books (the 3 Deeds of Pak and the first two of your series) is an actress. A lot of character actors do voice work on the side.

I personally prefer the same voice talent for a series. You would think that whomever makes the decisions on that sort of thing would make every effort to keep the same narrator if they are satisfied with the narrator.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote