View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazem View Post
Is there a way to increase the contrast on the PP?

tazem
tazem, no, there is no way to increase the contrast on astak ereader, nor on Kindle, nor on Nook, nor on Sony reader. It is the limitation of the unfortunate status of the current e-ink technology. You can play around the fonts like many suggested, but the improvement is very marginal if any. The e-ink screen to me is still not matured enough to be really paper-like. There is a new generation of e-ink coming out probably this year (so you will see some products next year at the earliest) which claims to improve the contrast, but further reading got me confused as to whether it does improve the contrast (between the whitest and the darkest color) or just adds more levels of grayscales (which will improve photo-realistic rendering, but does no good for text at all).

even with the same e-ink technology, each screen manufacturer still makes things a little bit different. From what I can see (I brought my PP to different stores), Nook has the best contrast, followed by Sony Pocket (not the touch version), and unfortunately, pp is worst in this regard, not only the contrast is not good enough, but it has some kind of green-yellowish tint on both the background and the fore ground color, which makes it only readable under sun light or very bright ambient light (or use a reading lamp). Almost all e-readers I see cannot compare with real paper as yet (if you compare with a real book, you will be lucky to find any e-reader that can mimic 50% of the contrast of a real book in normal light conditions). For my taste, e-reader still has a long way to go.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote