View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This has nothing to do with DRM - it's simply a matter of differing, incompatible file formats.

It's no different to many other fields. If you buy an lens for a Nikon camera, and in 5 years time you go out and buy a Canon camera, you won't be able to use your Nikon lens with the Canon camera.
I don't think your analogy rings true - an e-book replaces a p-book. A p-book is still perfectly usable after 10 years, but an e-book may not be, because of lack of standardisation on file and DRM formats.

To use your camera analogy, I would expect the pictures produced by a digital camera to still be viewable after 10 years.

Also, if I buy a cover light for my PRS505, and in 5 years time I go out and buy a PlasticLogic reader, I would not expect to be able to use my Sony cover light with my PlasticLogic reader. But I would expect the media (ebooks/pictures) used by the device (reader/camera) to still be accessible. If fact most digital cameras will happily load pictures taken on other cameras (e.g., using jpeg format). You cannot say the same about e-Readers.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote