Thread: Regex examples
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #507
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Hey, folks -- I am trying to learn/do this regex stuff on my own (however slowly)! I'm stumped on something that I would think should be fairly easy, though.

In my book, I've got almost 300 paragraphs that start off with a dropcap, with this being an example of how those paragraphs begin...

Code:
<span class="initial">H</span>onourable
What I want to do is make that first word in smallcaps, and so the code in this latter example would then be...

Code:
<span class="initial">H</span><span class="smallcaps">ONOURABLE</span>
So basically what I want to do is convert the case of that first word to uppercase and then wrap that smallcaps span around the relevant part of the word.

For my regex search I initially came up with this...

<span class=\"initial\">(.+?)</span>([^>]*)\s

...and for replace this...

<span class="initial">\1</span><span class="smallcaps">\U\2\E</span>

...(and in this latter there's an invisible space there that I suppose you won't "see" in this post -- but it would be there in my S&R, of course).

For the life of me, though, that \s won't stop at the first space, that is, after the first word -- it selects the entire paragraph up to the last space in the paragraph! -- and it's also possible that there might actually be not a space, but a comma (or other punctuation) instead, and I'd like that closing span (for my smallcaps) to come before that.

I've searched around the 'net trying to find the solution to this, but just can't seem to find it -- every "answer" that I find on other sites and try just doesn't seem to work.

Thanks in advance, if anyone can help!

(PS. I'm not sure if my "replace" code is correct either, actually -- although I never got that far with figuring this out!)

Last edited by Psymon; 09-16-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote