View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
How to get around geographic restrictions, legally.

I live in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA. My county library has audio books that you can download over the internet, but NO ebooks at all.

I've heard that some libraries will let out of state (sometimes listed as "out of area") sign up for a "local" library card for a fee. This fee is sometimes described as the amount of local taxes that go to the support of the library. Searching for such libraries led me to "Access Pennsylvania".

If you are in Pennsylvania, and if your library card has a sticker on it that says "Access Pennsylvania" you can get a FREE card from any PA library that is part of that system.

Next part- Philadelphia is a "large" city with a large library system. So I checked them out. Each library that lets out of area people to get a card charges a different amount. But the Free Philadelphia Library system ONLY CHARGES $15 to non-residents. Again, cards for those in the "Access Pennsylvania" system are free.

Say you live in Edinburgh or Frankfurt. Find the library that you want to "borrow" from and get a card, download books.

Now for the bad part. The Free Philadelphia Library system website was written so badly that you really can't, effectively, look up ANYTHING. Government work at its worst.

If I can find any better libraries I'll post them. With a little luck, and the help of others, maybe we can get a new category started - Online Library Access.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone in the UK know of a similar library where I can get "Under the Eagle" by Simon Scarrow?

P.S. - requests, if not overwhelming, accepted. Well, except for the Free Philadelphia Library system. It does have a huge amount of ebooks, audio books, movies, etc. Just hard to look up.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-06-2010 at 09:28 AM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote