View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I do wonder a lot about these technologies. Mirasol may well be put into use in 2010 as they plan, but their literature tends to offer varying numbers for contrast/reflectance. They seem to boast 60% reflectance and 15:1 contrast in one place, then change that to 50% and 8:1 in other places.

Liquavista also claims to have improved contrast and brightness a bit over EPDs like Vizplex, though they don't really offer much current information about the state of the tech, and their site and videos are a bit lacking. On the other hand, there was a really interesting picture shown here. I wish they had a larger, higher quality picture, but even the small one shows quite an advantage next to e-ink (mostly in black state, but even white is about 10% better in the pic), even if it continues to fall noticeably short of paper.

Pixel Qi is going to be interesting and I will probably opt for some kind of device with it as long as the device is useful, but for a dedicated reader, it does not seem to resolve my primary problem with current EPD: Poor white-state reflectance and contrast. It does, however, resolve the speed issue, which is great. Since full operating systems now allow some control over the text anti-aliasing methods, it's possible that fonts can be tweaked to display better on Pixel Qi than on standard EPD-bearing hardware. That's one of the big questions I have about Pixel Qi's readability, and I look forward to trying it out in the future.

Yes it's certainly possible that these techs won't make it far, or will only see commercial products in a few years, but some of these techs already have fabs running and are nearly, if not already, prepared for production.

Of course, E-Ink and other EPDs could keep their hold on the market, and I just hope that if they do, they'll take care of their problems...brighter whites, much blacker blacks, higher resolutions, and quicker refreshes (even if not video speeds)
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote