View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialAeon
My question is: does an ideal universal format exists?
The answer is, clearly, no. At least, not until 'ideal' has been suitably defined.

The Text Encoding Initiative is mainly for scholarly uses, and that may seem off-putting. It's mainly a base, suitable for novels and other types of texts, to which special markup (line and page identification, speaker identification, emendations, etc.) added on top.

Early versions were based on SGML, but I believe there is (or has been) an effort to convert to XML. There's no major difference on the markup level, though I believe there are on the DTD-level.

Check out their Guidelines -- and be sure to start with TEI Lite. But you *do* need an XML environment to work in, and particularly one that does check your files for markup errors.

If you want to have a more extensive example of a marked-up file than those that appear in the TEI Lite Introduction, try the Oxford Text Archive: their preferred formats are TEI-based. Their web site seems heavily frame-based, so I won't give a link, but you may look for works by Anthony Trollope -- I've just verified that the first one listed (Ayala's Angel) uses TEI Lite markup.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote