View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgirsberger View Post
I know that, dgatwood. : )

However, Georgia IS in the list of fonts a reader can choose on the Nook Color. I didn't put it there, so it is a choice by default. Logically, if it's something that can be chosen from the list, as a reader option, it should be available as a publisher default? I'm not calling to something that isn't there.
Ah. Now I understand. The problem is that Nook's notion of "Publisher Defaults" is hopelessly broken. As best I can tell:
  • The option is not enabled by default. Instead, an arbitrary (possibly user-chosen) font is used unless the user specifically chooses "Publisher Defaults" for each book.
  • Nook doesn't offer the "Publisher Defaults" option at all unless the book contains at least one embedded font.
  • Nook overrides publisher-chosen fonts in SVG content (which is very, very bad behavior).

Gross.

Leaving out the fallback choice won't force Nook to use Georgia. It will still use whatever font the user chose (or whatever font is the reader default if the user hasn't changed it), and it won't offer the "Publisher Defaults" option unless you embed at least one font in your book.

The only thing leaving out the fallback font will do is cause other readers that don't have the Georgia font to fall back to an arbitrary font rather than a serif font.

Does that answer the question?

Last edited by dgatwood; 01-04-2013 at 12:29 PM.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote