View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #34863
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I have a very dear friend who plays the Tri-State Lottery religiously. Every week at least one ticket. If no one wins that week, the following week he'll buy two tickets. If no one wins again, and the prize continues to increase, each week he will double or triple his purchases. He says he wins roughly 2-3 times a year... but never more than $2 at a time. But that's enough to keep him coming back for more. He figures he spends close to $ $350-$400 a year buying tickets. And wins $2-$4 a year. With the Mob-controled numbers racket, players had a better chance of winning. Perhaps that's why it was outlawed?

Stitchawl
This didn't sound right to me, so I checked into it. Either the universe has it in for your friend, or his recollection his faulty. I looked up the odds for the Tri-State Megabucks and they're about one in six for any prize, the lowest of which is $2. Since there are two drawings per week, even if he bought only one ticket per drawing, he'd win something on an average of once every three weeks. Since he's doubling down on his bet when he loses and since the prize pool includes bigger prizes, he should be doing far better than only $2 to $4 a year. Something is rotten in the state of Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote