View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
It usually makes a lot more sense to keep one base firmware and simply allow/disallow or ignore certain things based on switches in the code that correspond to what hardware the code is running on and enable or process sections of code only if allowed. It's a lot easier to maintain one and not have to update code in several versions and track in each which updates or revisions have been applied...
They are sharing a
Quote:
However, if codespace is an issue, or hardware versions diverge too radically then separate firmwares make more sense. No one really likes to branch unless necessary, because of the extra work of having to apply any new updates to multiple versions of base code and test them separately.
They are sharing a code base between the Touch, Glo and Mini. At the moment it is a single firmware file for all. But, it might change.
Quote:

All that said, near as I can figure from posts I've read is that there exists either a hardware difference on some readers or software difference in firmware 2.0.0(there were apparently 3 versions, A, B, C) that forced Kobo to produce a 2.0.4 necessary to allow an update to 2.1.4 on some range of devices... Seems to be the Aussies mostly, so maybe their version was different due to a wireless hardware issue due to different frequencies being used or something along those lines(pure conjecture.)
This wasn't a hardware problem, but a combination of the factory installed firmware version and some freebies in the firmware. I think the combination meant the install of post 2.0.0 firmware failed. And yes, 2.0.4 is a workaround to prepare the devices for 2.1.4 and later.
Quote:
This has apparently been compounded by finding problems with readers with side loaded content on SDHC and is causing the delay in further rollout of the current 2.1.4 firmware, or so I gather.
Yes, the found a bug that caused a reboot. They decided to stop the rollout and fix it.
Quote:

Frankly, I think someone at Kobo needs to beg, borrow, steal or quietly buy back some affected units so they have in house at least one of every model that ever differed in any way for future testing and clearance of any revised code and basically get all their sh-t in one sock before they look like bigger bozos. I greatly admire that they aren't abandoning older devices as they roll out newer, but they have to get hold of this tiger's tail and stop releasing firmware that is found to be buggy or lacking almost overnight. That is just plain sloppy. TESTING - there is no substitute!
I am told they at least one of every version. Plus they have an active beta testing program with real users. Of course, this missed this problem, but I don't know if it was last minute fix or just a fluke that no-one tried it.
Quote:
On the upswing side of things, I have 2.1.4 via wireless update and it works great near as I can tell, but I am not yet using an SDHC card nor am I actively pursuing how it might fail, I am merely enjoying reading with it and the bonus of faster page turns. I think we just need to be patient and give them time to resolve the issue before they continue the upgrades. I updated from 2.0.0 and I still have no idea what people were complaining about with that version, unless it was as petty an issue as pages turning more slowly. I think ultimately, we need to remain grateful that they are bothering to continue updating firmware on products that have been superseded by newer versions. To the Kobo developers, all I'd say, is that you guys need to worry less about when updates occur and more about them being ABSOLUTELY bulletproof before announcement, let alone release. Best of luck and try harder.
I think the developers already did this. I am sure from comments made by them that this firmware was planned for a lot earlier. But, there eventually gets a point with development projects where the release timing gets taken out of their hands. And frequently the team gets told they must put a particular fix or feature in but then don't get the chance to test it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote