View Single Post
Old 10-27-2022, 07:39 PM   #46
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
Okay, despite my nervousness a shaky hands I managed to do the jailbreak after 10 or so tries, thanks everyone in the thread and @mreader123 for the help.

So, my process was pretty much how mreader123 described, but I'll try to go into minute detail. This was done on the PW3.

EDIT with the details:

1. downloaded and open ygjsz's MfgTool.exe
2. connected kindle with USB, eject the kindle but keep the USB connected(so you can click "yes" when it's time to restart)
3. went to the restart prompt at settings/device options/restart ("no/yes" buttons--but don't restart yet)(you can also do this before connecting USB)
4. Connected CR501 to TP508 with a paperclip(or wire), you can see the location on luketheluke's comment(CR501 to TP1706 didn't work for me either)
5. while holding the pins, pressed "yes" on the restart prompt
6. kept holding until I saw the "No Device Connected" on MfgTool change to something else, which should probably be "HID device" but it wasn't "HID device" on my PC, but I don't remember what it was. The image on the kindle screen at this point was of the kindle boy under the tree, with some text(I think it was "Please wait a moment while your Kindle starts up.)
7. After seeing the "No Device Connected" change, I stopped holding the pins, and pressed "Start" on MfgTool.
8. Waited for it to install, at some point the popcorn image appeared and the jailbreak started installing, wait for it to do its thing and reboot.
9. After it rebooted I was able to install the NiJule hotfix on the Snapshots thread.

The only thing to note is that my screen displayed the boy under the kindle screen instead of "the same screen as it was before rebooting." as luketheduke described, not sure why, so I relied on looking at MfgTool to see when it worked.

Also, I believe that when entering SDP mode fails, the kindle reboot progress bar comes up, and when entering SDP mode works there's no reboot progress bar, is that right? I wasn't paying attention when I managed to do it. Every time it got to the progress bar I kept holding the clip in place because I thought it entered SDP mode after the progress bar, but now I'm thinking that's not the case, if anyone can corroborate that.

Last edited by Gaqs; 10-27-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote