View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Rethakul
Rethakul has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rethakul has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rethakul has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook
Post the obnoxious librarian - satire book

Hello all,

just joined the forum as every Google search about e-book readers seems to end here... I have been reading e-books since I got my first PDA in 2003, but since I've got my Cybook I am really into it.

For those of you that like the Dilbert type humor or still remember the "b*stard operator from hell" series, I would like to share my free book with you:

The book is the collection of stories of a librarian trapped in a large bureaucracy, trying to survive endless meetings, l-users (library users) and clueless managers.

Here a little abstract to give you a taste:

"The one where Kevin ruins my day

It is Monday morning, 9 am in the library and the phone rings. This is a nuisance. I am just in the middle of re-writing the Dewey entry on Wikipedia (the entry now goes straight to an entry about an obscure American philosopher named John Dewey, but of course it should point straight to Melvil Dewey) and now I have completely lost my train of thought. I let the phone ring three times as I don’t want my “customers” (I am no longer allowed to call them l-users, which is short for library users) think I have nothing better to do than answering their endless, irrelevant questions.

“Library” (with the proper curt tone in my voice)
“Hello, this is Kevin from sales. I cannot get access to the Wall Street Journal Online”
“Yes?”
“Well, I need to look up some stats for a presentation by the vice president before 10, so I need you to restore my access quickly”.

I always hate it when people try to make their problem mine. To make sure our Wall Street Journal access is completely secure, I change the password every 3 days and then post it clearly on the intranet webpage for everyone to see. Well, if they know how to find the page, as it is actually not linked from anywhere. And I use a white font on a white background. But for a real motivated user that should not be a problem, I think. "

You can download the whole book via Feedbooks in a variety of formats.

I am interested to hear your feedback, and if you like it, you can get the bi-weekly updates via the blog.

- Dennie Heye
Rethakul is offline   Reply With Quote