View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

PB903 vs. Entourage Edge vs. Adam vs. Kindle DX

I am at a point where I really cannot wait for better readers, as in color, are released nor can I wait for true large format screens. My needs are pretty well defined.
  • largest screen I can find as of today;
  • need to be able to read in direct sunlight or at minimum under conditions where traditional LCD's fail;
  • sort of must be able to read Kindle format books as many of my references are only in ebook form via Amazon but there are also some in either PDF or DRM epub;
  • ability to take notes with preference to active digitizer/capacitive touch;
  • web browsing over wifi is a nice extra that would be quite handy;
  • if the ability to hand write notes is on the device need to be able to have or add HWR app to convert notes to plain text as well as preserve the original note(s) associated with the page in a book they were added;
  • color is a huge bonus but not a must-have right now, still preference to a reader with color today like the Adam or the Edge.
  • external memory card slot;
  • user replaceable battery would be a big plus but not absolutely needed as I can take any device apart to replace the battery even if it's soldered in, well maybe on the last part though I doubt many devices solder batteries in place these days just to reduce the potential damage to a lithium battery from over heating during the soldering process.

don't really need
  • video. eventually it will be nice but for now it is not a factor;
  • 3G or 4G is not a must have but could be of use at times;
  • I am sure there are a few things left out but nothing comes to mind on this spur of the moment post.

Right now it is between the Edge, the Adam (I know this might still be a few months out which is a negative for sure plus it is a first generation device) and the Pocketbook 903.

Overall the Edge seems to offer me the best solution for my individual needs yet the Adam seems to have a better long term upside so far especially as I would opt for the wifi Pixel Qi device though I am disappointed that the price of the Pixel Qi devices is higher than the normal LCD device as the Pixel Qi was supposed to be cheaper even at RTM.

The PB903 is the dark horse for me as it does most everything I want but is unlikely to ever support Kindle books. As I mentioned many of the books I absolutely must have are out in ebook form only in Kindle format and others only as PDF's. So the lack of Kindle support is a minus though I still can strip them via my old version of K4PC which I keep tucked away safe inside a virtual machine and backed up in case Amazon tries to sneek in an upgrade with a book download. Heck I don't think my version can even sync so it's just right.

The Kindle is running butt-arsed last due in no small part to it being overpriced compared to the other devices as well as less future proofed than other devices. Though it does seem to handle PDF's reasonably well which is OK. Still like the PB903 being unlikely to support Kindle books the Kindle DX will never likely support DRM epub. The Kindles also have a horrible way to take notes. The keyboard is fine for notes of only a few words or without special symbols but for more complex note taking the Kindle really is poorly designed. To me the Kindle is not really a research tool by any stretch. However the PB903 seems designed for such a purpose as Pocketbook seems to be active in the education market so while it comes in 3rd in my list, it has potential to be more than a 6-month and out device.

It is the last part in the paragraph above I simply have to avoid, I do not want the hassle of buying yet another reader in 6-month or even a year. This is why the Adam seems, on it's surface, to be neck-and-neck with the already existing Edge (the full size not the pocket edge as the last thing I need is yet another small format reader).

So as I have not been keeping up on what seems to be a very quiet market right now, I thought I would ask if anything else I have missed device wise is out there, and remember a 9.7" display is the bare minimum size and I have zero interest or need for anything smaller.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote