View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #94
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereadingdotcom View Post
I would agree with that sentiment.

I have been guilty of not employing as much patience as I should; I have also dealt with major writers who are just nearly psychotic in their behavior. Really.

Amateurs I don't understand. My writing mentor, whom I was fortunate enough to meet when I was 13, has gone on to be one of the most respected names in fantasy. However, he coached humbleness into me when it comes to my own writing. If I argue with an editor, it usually winds up being over something dumb that really annoys me, like the choice of a particular word.

But, my good friend and occasional collaborator, best-selling author Ed Gorman, taught me the true value of picking your battles. I wish I'd listened to him earlier than I ultimately did.
I'd guess that that type of problem will continue to exist for as long as writer's are human beings. It's probably part of the nature of the creative process. I mean a lot of books on writing that I've read suggest a cooling off period before doing any editing because the writer is too close to the work to see any flaws. I imagine some of that closeness lingers even after a given work has been sent out. An author invests a lot of themselves in a writing project and it has to be hard to hear that something isn't perfect (in the editor's eyes). I can see the editor' point though. They have to make sure that a book earns money for the publisher rather than losing it. It must be a fairly stressful job.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote