View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance in this post, but I am a bit confused about something.

It seems like people were pretty jazzed about the Sony Reader Store going to epub because it is a more universal format. Or at least that is the impression I had. But what good is this format if it is DRM-ed?
It's good because:

1. ePub is a standard which everybody (except Amazon) supports. Therefore you have an extremely wide choice of different stores at which to buy books.

2. Pretty much every device (except the Kindle) now supports ePub. Therefore you are not "locked in" to any particular manufacturer when looking for devices.

Quote:
As an experiment, I tried buying a book from Barnes & Noble in epub. I made sure it was inexpensive because I knew this might not work. I tried to put it on my Sony Reader and of course it says my reader is not authorized. I wasn't surprised, but I was hoping it would let me enter in my information to "unlock" the book for this device.
As a general answer, you need to authorise your device with ADE. However, at present, B&N are using a new encryption method for their ePubs, which it will take a while for other devices to be able to use, but it should happen over time.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-13-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Typo.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote