View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #33
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
When making my own books I usually keep the different novel/works of the same author in the same mobi file (since the Cybook lacks folder support). Since each novel will then be for instance 1/10 of the total length, the progress bar is useless (in addition to the progress bar not working on files with more than ~3k pages). I therefore often use the Internet to check how many pages the book I am currently reading on my Cybook has. This also goes for books I purchase where the mobi file consist of more than one novel (eg Paul Auster’s New York Trilogy).
There might be different opinions on how a page number function should be made, but the current state of affairs is definitely an embarrassment for the software industry.
Possible better solutions includes any combination of:

- absolute page numbers embedded in the markup of each book, like suggested by Adobe
- percentages with decimals (only gives relative position)
- page number based on current rendering
- page numbers based on fixed amount of text/bytes on each page

(An on/off of feature, like with the current pagometer could be provided for the like of Ortep, who as I understand prefers to have sex in the dark ;-)
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote