View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #15
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Kindle devices do not support auto-hyphenation (even with KF8). Furthermore the hyphen css selectors are not among the list of supported selectors in the latest Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
Have you tried -webkit-hyphens on the actual device? Because it does work in Kindle Previewer, and I would hope that they used the same version of GTK WebKit....

Worst case scenario, you can insert soft hyphens (& shy;). IIRC, Kindlegen strips them out on the way to Mobi7, and if you combine them with hyphens: manual; and appropriate -webkit- and -epub- variants, the reader should break if necessary at that point even if the Fire uses an older version of GTK WebKit that doesn't have true auto-hyphenation support.

Incidentally, WebKit itself doesn't support the hyphens selector, last I checked. It supports only the -webkit-hyphens vendor-prefixed variant. So even if/when unaided auto-hyphenation works on a Kindle, you'll probably never see that vendor-prefixed property in Amazon's officially supported property list....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
EDIT: I believe the iPhone Kindle app (maybe others?) support auto-hyphenation, but even then... to my knowledge, it's not controlable with in-book css selectors. Kindle devices don't do auto-hyphenation at all (mobi or kf8).
Last I checked, Kindle for iOS didn't even support KF8 except fixed-layout, so I doubt it supports hyphenation usefully.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote