View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
cptnemo
Enthusiast
cptnemo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Help on project to create ePub of the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Hello,

I have since long been a big user of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, an open collection of about 1300 articles on philosophers and philosophical topics.

What I would like to create is an ePub version of the website so to bring the Encyclopedia always in my pocket.

What I have done so far is to download the articles with wget (about 270 mb) with these options: I excluded js, txt and css files, I got all the images necessary to display the pages, I did not create directories but importantly I asked wget to put all files in one folder (with no subdirectories) and to correct all internal links accordingly.

Basically, I created a functioning mono-folder website on my desktop. I though the next step would have been easy: I was wrong.

I tried:

1) to handcraft an ePub adding the required XML files and folder structure (mimetype, OEBPS, META-INF, etc.) following these instructions (I add over 4000 elements to Content.opf), and then to create my .zip/epub file with this nice applescript. But the ePub does not work: I unsuccessfully tried to open it with Sigil (it crashed) and with Calibre (it opens but internal links of the ePub do not work, they point to files on my desktop not in the ePub).

2) I tried to convert my handcrafted ePub with Calibre into another ePub. Calibre crashed.

3) I tried to create an ePub with Calibre opening the contents.html file from desktop. Calibre crashed.

Do you think my file is to big? Should I go through some preprocess with my html files before converting?
cptnemo is offline   Reply With Quote