View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
nicolasavru
nicolasavru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I've noticed there's hundreds of Star Trek books! I've never read one, I just know some TV series and movies.

What would be your advice for a complete newbie to these book series? Any reading order? Books to avoid?
If you're a fan of a particular series, you might want to start with a couple books specific to that series, just to get the feel of reading Star Trek instead of watching it. Most of the single-novel series specific books are essentially episodes, except in book form.

I wouldn't really worry about reading order, except for the Relaunch books (look them up on Wikipedia or Memory-Beta, the Star Trek non-canon wiki) for the simple fact that they introduce many new characters and events and you'll have no idea what is being talked about. Also, for a series consisted of several books (such as Vanguard which I mentioned in my first post), you should read them in order.

Can't really tell you what specific books to avoid, there are just too many of them. You can just read as many as you can and see what you like/don't like, or read reviews on Amazon or something before you buy them.

One more recommendation: look on places like Craigslist and at garage/yard sales for Star Trek books. You can find large collections of older Star Trek books (mostly from the 90s) for $1-2 each.
nicolasavru is offline   Reply With Quote