View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
About Amazon and RPNs:

HOWEVER, don't be fooled into thinking that what Amazon says on that page is actually quite, exactly, right. You have to have a print edition, on sale, on Amazon, which is the print edition you are matching. And they only enable RPNs, when they make that correlation. And sometimes, you have to email them and ask them to enable them.

That's why they require the ISBN, in the meta. That's what they've directly told me, and I haven't seen any behavior yet that contradicts that.

The "page numbers" that you tend to see, inside your typical novel, etc. are created by the reading device, not RPNs. Different strokes, different...well, you know.

Hitch
Thanks Hitch!

oh.... interesting, so RPNs are really actuially REAL page numbers from the ACTUAL print book? I'd taken the "real" bit with a kidney-witheringly large pinch of salt.
So: I'm going to leave THAT bit up to the client. Ask them to add the print ISBN into the metadata at the KDP upload page. so that only works for paperbacks published through Amazon? Not by Ingram etc? (ugh).

This leaves me with the "can I get the pageList bit working". I'm a little unsure about mucking about with MOBI files now that Amazon are dropping it and kindlegen won't be updated any more. Will Amazon's readers honour the pageList info from an uploaded ePub2 file? How can I check my encoding in the toc.ncx is working? A little scared that Doitsu's one didnt work on ADE. (or... and this wont surprise me, ADE doesn't read pageList??).

really appreciate the help here guys.
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote