View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
PocketBook allows you to access the 10 most recent right from what you are currently reading and jump directly to one of those books. Boox you have to go to the main menu to find recently viewed.
That, I didn't know about; I'd like it to be as common a feature as "sort by author."

Quote:
Pocketbook allows you to fast forward 2 ways- by holding the page forward button you can skip 10 pages at a time. Or you can turn full refresh off and go thru the pages quite quickly. Onyx you can do the same thing
I've got the 10 pages thing on the Sony; it's nothing like a quick flipthrough. I don't think e-ink will ever be able to do that, but LCD screens and tablets could; they currently don't have a "scroll through quickly" option. Anything that you have to tap or click for each new page is much slower than what I'm thinking of.

Quote:
PocketBook and Onyx both allow FIt to page or height or width as well various percentages.
Do they allow you to take a quarter-page image with text around it, and show just the image on its own page, filling the screen? (And does that work in all formats?) What I'm thinking of is image-based zoom without the surrounding text. It'd be pretty much meaningless for manga, which is already fit-to-page one direction or the other, unless someone designed it as individual panels instead of entire pages.

Quote:
open random page or chapter- you can just go to the TOC and pick the chapter or open the goto page option and enter a random number.
I'm considering whether I think "enter a number of my choice" counts as a randomizer. "Pick a chapter from the TOC" definitely doesn't, especially since many ebooks don't have chapters coded into them.

I'm aware that something like these features are available in some readers; I'd like them to be more common, and I'm *very* happy to find out which devices come closest to them. (When I bought my Sony, it was flip-a-coin between it & Astak's EZReader. Had the PocketPro existed, I wouldn't have looked twice at the Sony.)

I've got no idea why bookmarks are pretty much universal, and coded bookmarks are nonexistent.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote