View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Funny how HTML is so much more space-efficient than Word. It's almost like Word docs are crammed full of poorly optimized code that shouldn't be used as the base for a transform.
No... it's exactly like Word docs are crammed full of poorly optimized code that shouldn't be used as the base for a transform. Word wasn't designed to be used as a simple base for transforming into other formats; it was designed to stay as Word, to be transferred into other (Microsoft) programs, then back into Word, and retain as many of their features.

I, too, think that Smashwords should have gone with HTML as the base for their conversions. But I understand why they didn't, as more people use Word than program in HTML, and Smashwords was trying to make it more palatable for more people to use their system. Meatgrinder is designed for the largest common denominator... which doesn't describe most of the writers on this site, unfortunately.

I don't like to use it, either; but I just set myself to a determined state and get through it, with good results.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote