View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Captain_Obvious
Captain_Obvious began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Thoughts on a new Kobo plus some advice from the more experienced Android users

So, I just got my shiny new Kobo yesterday. Overall I like it. It does everything well. The browser was a bit of a sore point but downloading Opera resolved that.

My one issue is the processor. While using the ereader normally to do things like read or browse the net was fine, I noticed some hiccups while trying to play angry birds. Nothing major, just a little stuttering every now and then. Definitely not a game breaker or anything.

I did have one extremely weird glitch. All day yesterday I kept trying to download the user manual. Apparently I only had the free preview. Thing is, every time I tried to download the whole book, I'd still only get the free preview. Every other device with Kobo on it that I own got the manual except the Vox. Today, however, when I got back from work, I tried to download it again and it worked. Like I said, weird glitch.

My question to Android users is simply, how to tell if a program is malware in disguise. I've been reading a lot of scare stories recently about Android being plagued with malware and have been a bit more paranoid about it. Apparently, unless an app is in the Android market, you really can't trust it seems to be the recurring suggestion. Unfortunately, that's not an option at the moment with the Vox. The apps I have downloaded were from the websites that I trusted, like opera and overdrive. However, almost everything else uses the market. My worry with the Kobo getjar app is that it doesn't provide the publisher information before downloading the app. So I have no way of knowing where the app came from or if it's malware disguised as the app I want. Of course, It's entirely possible that those articles have just made me excessively paranoid. If that's the case let me know :-P
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote