View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #107
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampercam View Post
I'd be interested to hear your workflow, as I'm trying to come up with something similar. Mind you, I should be studying for uni exams this week so feel free to not rush
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Indeed, I would be interested to hear your thoughts too.
It'll be at least a few days - I want to wait until the Pandigital gets here (I think it ships out today but I haven't gotten a confirmation yet). I want to have all three ereaders registered with Book Sync so I can go through the whole process and work out any kinks. I don't want to post a detailed workflow only to discover that, in practice, I'm just delusional.

Plus, I'd like to have the updated Collections when Meme gets done fixing it. (I feel like I've built an assembly line and am waiting to push the start button. It may start raining virtual widgets if it doesn't go as planned.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Another reason I forgot to mention as to why I didn't put into book sync is the nature of the lists. A book sync list is temporary, it gets flushed onto your device when you sync with it to become empty again.
(snip)
Does there really need to be the ability to send a single list to multiple devices?
(snip)
Perhaps that is all there is to it... I welcome input as to what might be missing etc. You can tell that this is gnawing at me now...
First point - as an end-user, I won't pretend to have a full grasp of the inner workings of the process, but I'm enough of a geek to get the concepts. (That's my way of saying that I might stop making sense at any moment so bear with me.) When I start thinking about things like this, my brain goes old school and I start seeing flowcharts in my head.

Say I've got multiple ereaders. Since I'm maintaining them for both myself and my roommate, I want a list that maintains a running total of "John's Books" and "Christa's Books". Yes, I could do this manually, no problem, but think of this as an exercise in workflow management rather than sheer laziness. In this case, the desired action would be to select the book, then choose a command that either:
a) adds the book to a selected list, and flags that book for sync on the Miserati (Literati) - once the sync is completed, the flag is cleared but everything else stays the same (the assigned book list and any assigned tags.) You would still have a separate sync list and reading list, it just wouldn't be visible as such at that moment.
or
b) adds the book to a sync list, then assigns a user-designated device-specific tag to a specified column once the sync is completed. Then it's flushed. In this scenario, I simply input the same tags I use in Reading Lists, effectively getting the same tag browser results but not actually adding it to the Reading List.

Yes, I know that's not what I said before. I've had time to think about this. It would not work for everyone. The second option would, however, work for those of us who use the Reading List mostly in conjunction with the tag browser. For me, it's the tag that makes the whole thing work. Besides, as far as I can tell, removing a book from a list or changing the assigned tag isn't retroactive, so tag revisions are already done manually. (Or am I wrong about that?) If I really wanted to keep the books on the actual list, I could just create a search to find books with that tag but not on that list and add them myself.

Second point - (Yeah, my first point was long...) regarding single list/multiple devices, is a "copy to (device) list" option possible? It would keep them separate but the same. You would need a function to identify and prevent duplicates, if that's not already in place. Kind of "check list a, add anything from list b not already there".

These are only my ideas. I'm counting on you to tell me when I'm being silly.