Thread: Literary The Return by Hisham Matar
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
sun surfer
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
Whichever book had won, I was planning on listening to the audiobook (all five nominees were available) because I still have a lot on my ebook plate but nothing on my audiobook plate currently so I'll hopefully be able to read it a little faster this way. We're definitely going very current this month. Matar was nominated a few other times here for his fictional book In the Country of Men so I'll be curious to see what I think of his non-fiction writing, though if awards are any indication then it already has some high praise.

Some amusing tidbits from a club runner's perspective: I think we've only ever had two recurring author winners so far in the lit club - Colm Tóibín and T.S. Eliot - both originally winning in 2015 only two months apart and then both having their second win in 2017. This observation would fit more in the general thread or last month's discussion except that I also noticed that the quote on both the second and third covers above for The Return are from none other than Tóibín. So, there's been some interesting author club weaving this year.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote