View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #65
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
You need to at least once programmatically "follow" the link-shortened URL in order to discover its destination, as it doesn't necessarily contain any revealing information it its url (such as the ASIN, as you suggested). It's not too difficult, I just haven't had the time to write a caching system yet that would follow the URL and cache the unshortened version for quick future lookups.
I figured no harm no foul. An extra affiliate link when going to something like http://amzn.com/manageyourkindle will, at worst, persist onto linked product pages.

But I can hear that as manager of a website you don't want to clutter up extra pages.

What does the current code do to distinguish product pages? I think the asin links are semantically recognizable the same (more or less) way, and unless you check for dead links in the current code (???) that shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't like to think that MobileRead has to ping Amazon if it doesn't have to, and I think it could be done without.

Quote:
There isn't yet. It could be easily added, though I am not sure where exactly. In the top blue nav bar perhaps?
"Find ebooks on Amazon" searchbox under the MR one.
Although to be fair maybe we should have other retailers as well.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote